Seth Casana is the founder and Editor-In-Chief of Whurk Magazine. Since 2013, Whurk has been a champion of the independent cultural community in Virginia. Distributed statewide and online, the publication features interviews with artists, album reviews, poetry,
literature, and comics, all from the Commonwealth.
Seth currently resides in Fredericksburg where he is an active member of the local
arts scene. He was Chair of the Fredericksburg Arts Commission from 2012-2014, presents frequently at the storytelling event Tell Fredericksburg, and plays sousaphone in the band Elby Brass.
In this episode, Seth shares:
- How he came up with the idea for the magazine
- Choosing print versus digital
- Getting creative with distribution solutions
- Getting past potential advertisers objections
- How they set their initial rate card to generate more revenue for magazine production
- Why they decided to choose a free to consumer format over a paid publication format
- How distribution is determined
- How they scale the magazine for expansion without reinventing the wheel.
- Deciding when to add a digital magazine component
- Creating an editorial calendar
- Ways to monetize and expand your brand beyond the magazine
- Funny mishaps he’s made along the way
Connect with Seth: