Writing a book doesn’t have to be hard. We can get really intimidated when we think about word counts, especially when that word count is 50,000, the best practices length for a book. In this episode, we deconstruct word count to show how you can write a 50,000 word book in 30 or 60 days, 3 or 6 months, or in one year.
When I wrote my book, I kept the goal of 50,000 words in mind, thought I knew I would come in shorter. My manuscript ended up being 72,000 words and after I finally edited it down it went to 33,000 words. I used the excess content as blog posts and as podcast topic ideas. Focus on the writing and telling a great story and the words will take care of themselves. You’ll hit the word count, but more important, you’ll have great material for your readers.
What You’ll Discover:
- Ideal book length: 50,000 words
- Ideal page count for highest reader completion: 200 pages (50,000 words)
To write a 50,000 word book in…
- 30 days: 1,667 words per day
- 60 days: 833 words per day
- 3 months: 555 words per day
- 6 months: 277 words per day
- 1 year: 136 words per day