As founder and principal designer at Mayfly Design, Ryan is experienced in all aspects of book design, including cover design, page design, typesetting, and eBooks. He is also knowledgeable in other publishing services for the ever-growing population of independent authors who are setting out on their own publishing journey, including acquiring ISBNs, registering their book with the Library of Congress, and assistance with distribution platforms such as KDP and IngramSpark. His strength is taking a finished manuscript and supporting assets and creating a beautiful, engaging, and exciting book with a process that is very time-efficient and worry-free.
Mayfly Design was created in the thriving literary city of Minneapolis in 2007 with a mission to celebrate and advance the universal connection and goodwill of storytelling. Visit mayflydesign.com for more information.
In this episode, Ryan and I discuss:
- Cover design, typography, and industry genre trends
- Why self-published authors should hire a cover designer
- What authors can do if they can’t afford a designer
- Cover design and Image usage rights in stock photography
- Book design and the elements of a good interior book design
- Typesetting ebooks